Tuesday 13 November 2012

Handbrake cable


Started by spending an hour tidying up, the garage was a mess after last weeks work.

I started on the handbrake by fixing the brackets to the rear uprights but as I have not fitted the driveshafts yet I had to pack them out to get them in the right position.  Calipers were then bolted in position.

I was given a handbrake repair end by MK so proceeded to cut off one end of my handbrake cable.  I unthreaded everything and started to fit the guide spring tube.  One has a plastic locking nut on which locks to the chassis.  The other has a yellow plastic end, which I cut and filed away so I could install a circlip to hold it to the chassis.

I didn’t have any circlips so I filed a bit more away and used an M10 washer that I cut a 10mm slot in.  It seems to hold it tightly enough.

Tomorrow I can make a couple of brackets to support the handbrake cables and try to gut the actual cable to length.  Also need to get some new rear discs as the ones I bought don’t fit over the wheel hubs.








No comments:

Post a Comment