Thursday 22 November 2012

Radiator, fan and bracket


The radiator fan arrived today so I made a start on the cooling system.  To start I used an M6 tap to cut a thread in the holes of the Volkswagen Polo radiator.  Then I cut some aluminium brackets and fixed the fan to the radiator.

I had seen a couple of setups online where aluminium brackets were used to fix the radiator to the chassis but these looked flimsy so I decided to make it out of steel.  I bought a 2m length of 25 x 4mm steel from B&Q which I cut and bent to suit.  I decided to mount the radiator at a slight angle to ensure there is plenty of space under the nose cone.  The top bracket will fix to the chassis above the pushrod – I undid the shock to check that the pushrod wouldn’t clash with the steel.

Using masking tape I fixed the whole lot in position as a test.  This will be welded up tomorrow.  The plan is to fix an additional bracket under the radiator which will support the oil cooler.








No comments:

Post a Comment