Wednesday 2 January 2013

Dash

Made a start on the dash tonight.  I began by marking out 7no. fixing holes in the carbon dash ensuring they were evenly spaces and the edge distance of the scuttle was sufficient.  I did this by placing the dash in place and marking round it.  Putting the holes 15mm from the edge seemed to work ok.

The holes were drilled slowly, then the hole positions transferred to the scuttle which was also drilled and rivnuts installed.  A quick test showed all the holes lined up.

I then began work on a template for the clocks.  To make this tidy as possible I will want to cut and edge trim the hole.  My cardboard template didn’t have the strength to have the edge trim applied so I will remake the template from 2mm aluminium tomorrow.   This will allow the edge trim to be appled and the template drilled, cut and filed to the perfect shape before I attempt to cut the carbon dash.

Hole positions marked

Holes drilled

Holes transferred to scuttle

Scuttle drilled and rivnuts installed

M6 x 30mm stainless dome bolts used to fix dash to scuttle.  

I didnt realise until this point that the two outer bolts will not be able to be done up as they will be about 5mm off the rollcage.  I will have to have these as dummy bolts that are clued in position.





No comments:

Post a Comment