Sunday 17 February 2013

Steering wheel - Padded centre with embossed MK logo


I decided to have a break from the electrics today so got on with the steering wheel. 

The wheel I bought is a Mountney D shaped, 255mm diameter but it has a hard centre so will probably fail the IVA.  I decided to make a padded centre for this but also have a go at making one with the MK logo.

I started by cutting foam to the right shape (foam was a yoga brick) and sanded the edges.  I then cut out the MK logo from 3mm cardboard and again smoothed the edges.  Next I cut a piece of MDF to the same shape as the foam (wood needed as I plan on covering with leather and stapling it).  The MDF was drilled for the 6 fixing bolts and then a piece of 2mm steel plate was cut and drilled the same as the MDF.

I then welded 6 bolts to the steel plate so the nuts can be tightened as the heads will be hidden.  Then using contact adhesive spray I fixed a piece of leather from some old trousers (not mine!) to the foam with the cardboard cut out of the MK logo between the two.   I used some small craft tools to press the leather in the corners to ensure the logo was clear. 

I then stretched the leather around the back and fixed to the MDF with a staple gun, trying to keep any folds neat and even.  Excess was removed with a knife.

For a first attempt I think it looks ok but I wish I had cut the foam thinner as it sticks out a bit too far.






































No comments:

Post a Comment